Sunday, June 22, 2014

My Official Training Begins for NYC 2014 Marathon on Monday, June 30th!

Okay, one week to go until I begin my official training program for the 2014 New York City Marathon.  This will be my thirtieth marathon and my fifteenth on the streets of the Big Apple. There is no marathon quite like New York City -- on Marathon Weekend, New York comes alive!  It seems as though every NYC inhabitant is standing somewhere on the course on that Sunday, cheering as loudly as possible for the runners.  

I will be blogging all about my training -- hopefully, my running audience will find some useful tips.  I welcome all questions in the Comments Section of each blog post.

Typically, my formal training for a marathon begins 18 weeks prior to the actual marathon date.  My training weeks always start on Mondays and end on Sundays -- I like this format because, if I need to make up mileage in a given week, the optimal days for me to do this are on Saturdays and Sundays.

Since I am now 55 years old and have one knee that is not all that cooperative, I plan to include a fair amount of cross training in my weekly schedule.  I will also do some strength training exercises at least twice a week.

I will go into this training program with a base of approximately 15 miles of running and seven miles of brisk walking per week.  In the past two months, my longest run has been four miles and I have completed three 5K races.

So, I have my work cut out for me!  My biggest assets are tons of experience, an awesome ability to detach my brain from pain, and a very positive attitude! My greatest challenges are my aging body and finding the time in my crazy, hectic life to train appropriately.

I hope you follow along on my training journey.  As I enter my final week prior to the official start of training, I am aiming for a 20 mile running week.  

Are you running a fall marathon? If so, let me know which one in the Comments Section below.

Please "stay tuned" as my training journey begins...

  

No comments:

Post a Comment