Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I Am Running in the 2014 NYC Marathon!





Yep, there's nothing like waiting until the very last possible day to sign up for the NYC Marathon! Of course, I thought about running a fall marathon that I have not yet run, but I just could not, and cannot resist the lure of NYC!  This will be my 15th NYC Marathon and it still does not get old. On so many levels, running in the NYC Marathon is like "going home"  I was born and raised in Brooklyn, and during my youth, spent tons of time in all the boroughs.  It is so wonderful to go through all the familiar and not so familiar neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens, Manhattan, and the Bronx.  I admit it... I am a native New Yorker -- I may live in the suburbs now, but my roots are back home in my old neighborhood.  The old adage is so true:  You can take me out of Brooklyn, but you cannot take Brooklyn out of me!


New York City has a personality unlike all other cities, especially on Marathon Sunday, when the streets come alive with two million spectators.  It is one big party in the streets!  There's live music on so many street corners and incredible support from total strangers.  

What makes it all even more special is that I run for Fred's Team, a group of dedicated runners whose mission is to raise funds for cancer research for Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.  I have been running with Fred's Team since this charity began over 20 years ago and have raised more than $100,000 for the Aubrey Fund for Pediatric Cancer Research


There will be many more blog posts to come,specifically related to both the NYC Marathon and Fred's Team.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment