Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men

image from: www.shannamann.com

Well, it is time for my two-week recap since beginning my Official NYC Marathon Training Program and the Paleo Diet.  Well, sure am glad that I'm a very flexible and resilient individual...

WEEK ONE TRAINING (June 30th - July 6th):  My goal was simply to get in at least 15 miles with runs of 30 minutes or more.  I was just interested in building my base mileage over this week and the next.  My plan was to be up to 20 weekly miles at the end of Week Two.  Well, according to my Garmin Forerunner 620 GPS (which I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE), I ran a total of 16.59 miles (to be exact).  I got in most of my mileage during the July 4th Holiday Weekend which I spent on Cape Cod.  My longest run was on Sunday, July 6th -- 5.52 glorious and very scenic miles in Falmouth, MA.  My running buddy, Ann, and I, ran along part of the Falmouth Road Race course and then continued into beautiful Falmouth Heights.  Our course ran adjacent to the panoramic Cape Cod Bay -- since the view could not be beat, the time went by so quickly!




View Near Finish Line of Falmouth Road Race



The Historical "Finish Line Garden"


Falmouth Marina



WEEK ONE PALEO DIET (June 30th through July 6th):  Well, I was about to go shopping on Sunday, June 29th for all the staples that I needed for my first "paleo week." However, Ann, called and asked me to please go for a run with her because she was 'quickly losing motivation.'  How could I say "no?"  After all, Ann has always been there for me.  So, out the door I went for my second run of the day in the 85-90 degree sunshine and humidity!  Unfortunately, grocery shopping was no longer an option since I had evening plans that could not be changed.  My work week was way too busy to go shopping, so I just told myself that I could become a "hunter/gatherer" one week later than originally planned.
  

WEEK TWO TRAINING (July 7th through July 13th):  Let the fun and games truly begin!!!  I was just too busy to run on Monday, July 7th -- so many clients to train that I ran out of time.  Plus, my body could use a rest after running on Friday, Saturday and Sunday -- after all, I am not so young any more; I value rest and recovery as much as the runs themselves!  Tuesday, July 8th -- yep, that is when all hell broke loose -- the dreaded ORAL SURGERY!!!  When the oral surgeon said, "absolutely no running for 10 days," I wanted to cry.  So, there you have it -- week two of training:  zero miles. In addition, I have had the joy of being on a potpourri of pills subsequent to the tooth removal and abscess draining -- an antibiotic, a six day course of steroids, Motrin, and mega doses of Vitamin C, plus an oral rinse that stains your teeth - very glamorous!

I promise you that I will NEVER take steroids again!!!!!  Yes, I am revving at 100 miles per hour and have had two virtually sleepless nights over the past six days (I just finished the steroids today).  My entire body has been vibrating since day two of my steroid adventure.  Next time (hopefully, there will never be a "next time"), I will opt for major mouth swelling instead of this PSYCHO DRUG!!!  If you are suffering from insomnia, I have a great book for you to read --  Wild, by Cheryl Strayed -- it kept me going during those two sleepless nights.

WEEK TWO PALEO DIET (July 7th through July 13th):  What Paleo Diet???  The oral surgeon's instructions were quite clear:  "Mushy food and liquids only."  Paleo NOTHING!!!  I have been living on overcooked pasta, rice, yogurt, ice cream -- you get the picture.  I especially love having to constantly urinate due to the mega doses of Vitamin C, combined with a high carbohydrate diet -- such fun, especially in the middle of the night!

So, my friends, the first two weeks have been a test of my resiliency.  Let me tell you... you cannot keep a good woman down!!!  I will be back with a vengeance!  Stay tuned for the next official training and paleo diet recap in two weeks from today!





No comments:

Post a Comment