Friday, May 16, 2014

Aging Gracefully


image from:  http://www.linesofbeauty.com/2012/04/aging-gracefully-with-wellness.html
Chronologically, I am 55 years old.  However, in my mind, I am 35 years young, perhaps even younger. This often creates a dilemma when I set out to go on a run and especially when I am racing.  I think back to my younger years and delude myself into believing, on some level, that I am still capable of the same running intensity and weekly mileage as my 35 year old self.  Well, guess again -- the reality is that I am not able to do what I once could.  Sometimes, this is a very difficult concept to grasp and accept.

My greatest limitation is a left knee that does not want to cooperate with the rest of my body.  I also have noticed that my body weight is slowly increasing and it takes me longer to recover from races, hill training, and long runs.  Ugh -- but, aging sure beats the alternative.

One day running will become jogging; then, jogging will become shuffling.  When shuffling becomes my predominant form of locomotion, I promise myself that I will use the knowledge and wisdom that I have gained from running countless miles to inspire others to continue the journey where I left off.  I love running.


No comments:

Post a Comment