Thursday, February 5, 2015

Mom, This Run is For You!

Meet my mom, Marilyn Klein.  These photos were taken on Monday, February 4th, 2013 at 6:00 am in the waiting room of a New York City hospital.  You see, my mom was about to have open heart surgery to replace her aortic valve. Mom had the same surgery ten years prior at age 72.  Now, ten years later, we both knew that the risks were somewhat greater, but there was no good alternative - without surgery, she would gradually become debilitated due to congestive heart failure.  My mom was very much against needing someone to take care of her - she had always been such a headstrong and capable woman.

Today is February 5th, 2015 - it is exactly two years since mom has passed away.  Mom made it through surgery, but, this time, did not look too good in the recovery room. Early the next morning, her heart gave out.  

It is rare for me to be at a loss for words, but the truth is, Mom, I miss you more than words could ever express.

Thank you for the many gifts that you have given to me, the greatest of them all being perseverance.  It is so true that the race is not always won by the swift, but by those who keep on going.  I was usually the hare, racing to complete a project; you were always the tortoise methodically seeing every project through to completion with pinpoint accuracy.   

Mom, I want you to know that I have slowed down, literally and figuratively.  I run a lot slower than I used to -- those knee injuries have really caught up to me -- however, I always cross the finish line because you taught me the value in finishing what you start.  But, more importantly, I try to decelerate a little bit every day to appreciate all the little things - your granddaughter's smile, your grandson's musical talents, and nature's beauty.

Mom, I have watched you handle many difficult situations with grace and dignity.  Your ability to carefully think before you ever acted was remarkable.  I have tried to emulate these qualities, but I certainly have a ways to go.

Mom, I cannot run today because there are just not enough hours in the day.  So, when I run tomorrow, I am dedicating every step to you, the woman who taught me how to persevere. You, mom, have taught me how to be strong, to just put one foot in front of the other and keep on going!  Thank you, mom, for being the voice of reason.  You may have been small in stature, but oh so large in life!  I hope one day we meet again.








No comments:

Post a Comment